Thursday, January 16, 2014

Blog Challenge: Day #5

Give a tip for assessment.  What is an example of an assessment you give?  Share any tips for designing/giving/grading assessments.

One assessment that I give to my TAG (Talented and Gifted) class is a WordMasters-type test.  My school used to participate in the WordMasters Challenge, but we stopped about three years ago.  Since then, I continue to work on vocabulary (focusing on SAT prep words) with my “high” class.  At the end of each quarter, the students take a “WordMasters” test that I design.  Throughout the quarter, students complete six vocabulary lessons with twenty words each (I give them a sheet with all of the words and definitions, and they have to finish the worksheet).  At the end of the quarter, I pick thirty words from the 120 the students have seen, that the students will be tested on.  The test focuses on students using critical thinking and knowledge of specific vocabulary words to solve analogies.  So, the students not only have to memorize various words and their definitions, part of speech, etc., they also have to apply that knowledge to solve the analogies.

Ex.  Skydiver:  _______________________ ::  Explorer:  Adventurous

A.  Facetious     /     B.  Cautious     /    C.  Audacious     /     D.  Ethical     /    E.  Plebeian

I have my students first take the test on paper because many of them like to be able to physically cross out/eliminate answers.  When students have finished with the paper copy, I have them go to a link to a Google form that I have created.  Students then submit their answers through the Google form.  When all students are done with the test, I run the Flubaroo script to grade their tests against my answer key.  Once all of the tests are graded, I go back into the Flubaroo script and email students their results.  Students like taking the test through the form because as soon as everyone is finished, they can see their results.  It gives them almost instant feedback.

In terms of designing the assessment, I always make sure to take the test that I will give students.  I make sure that all questions and answer choices make sense, and they are not confusing.  I think it’s important to first consider what you want the test to show/what standards you are hoping to assess.  I really like using Google forms to have students take their tests, but in using Google forms, you can be somewhat limited to certain types of questions.  Forms does allow you to ask short answer and extended response questions, but I think grading those on the computer gets a little more difficult.  I would rather have students do those types of questions on paper because I find the grading easier.  

1 comment:

  1. m30- I read delirium. I am about in the middle of the book. It's getting very interesting . Lena is starting to like guys , and she found a guy named Alex .Also Alex has a secret that i just found out. I was so surprised when I read this.

    ReplyDelete